December 7, 2018
First Grade Sea Otter News
This week students began learning subtraction strategies, discussed who St. Nicholas was and listened and wrote about Christmas Around the World. Students explored Christmas customs and even made ornaments to represent the different places they studied. On Wednesday, first graders did an excellent job participating in their first class mass. Then we celebrated the Immaculate Conception at a beautiful Mass Friday morning with the whole school.
International Christmas Luncheon
Please return completed forms by next Friday, December 14th. Mrs. Jessup and I will review the forms, see what is needed to round out the list, and send home a confirmation next Monday, December 17th. Thank you in advance for your contributions!
Please keep an eye out for a volunteer sign up genius from the room parents for the day of the luncheon. We will have about 18 volunteer jobs total for both classes.
First and second graders will perform on Thursday, December 13th at 7:00pm in Egan Hall. We will meet in the classroom between 6:40 – 6:50 pm. Please do not drop your child off before 6:40 p.m. teachers will not be there to supervise. If you are late (arriving after 6:50) please meet us in Egan Hall. The first graders take the stage first, followed by the second grade performance of the Nativity story. Your child will be directed to come sit with you following the first grade concert. You are welcome to stay for the second grade performance.
Please notify me if you know your child will be absent during any of the days before Christmas break. We have lots of Christmas activities, gifts, and celebrations and I want to plan accordingly to make sure as many students as possible are included. Thanks!
Questions to Ask
– Can you sing me a song for your concert?
-What math operation do you use to find the “difference”?
– What can you tell me about Christmas in Australia? Germany? The Netherlands? Hong Kong?
– Star Sea Otter for the week of December 10 is Hudson.
– Christmas Concert Thursday, December 13th.
– Christmas Luncheon Thursday, December 20th
– Noon dismissal Friday, December 21st .
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– help my class write. W.1.7
– revise and edit my writing. W.1.5
– publish my writing. W.1.6
– understand how words in a story can tell about feelings and the senses. RL.1.4
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– subtract facts within 20. 1.OA.6
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
-tell about people, places, and things. SL.1.4
-engage in discussions to learn about how families live around the world. 5.3.1
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.