February 8, 2019
First Grade Sea Otter News
We had a snowy but busy short week. First graders learned about Chinese New Year and found out that on Groundhog’s Day Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow… 6 less weeks of winter??? We shall see! We discussed this month’s virtue, Cheerfulness, and how we can spread that to others. In math, students began learning about adding and subtracting two digit numbers.
Supplemental School Work:
In anticipation of potential snow days next week I have listed activities below that you can have your child work on during the down times between playing in the snow.
-Label spelling words: noun, verb, adjective
-Color code the sorts on the poem page attached to today’s homework
-Write sentences with two spelling words in them- bonus for three words in a sentence!
-Hunt for words in any book that have your spelling sort pattern
– Use reading activity resources listed here https://grade1.st-johnschool.org/important-links/
-Reread assigned pages or read ahead 15 pages in book bag and use comprehension strategies
– Make flash cards of addition and subtraction math facts 0-10
– Roll dice or flip playing cards and add them numbers then list the complete fact family
-Ms. Gudaitis’ math resources: https://math.st-johnschool.org/important-links/
100th Day of School: As of today, February 25th will now be our 100th day of school. Please still bring your 100 word poster project to school on the 21st.
Valentine’s Day: Valentine’s Day is coming up soon! Signing a name 20 plus times can be a big job for children. You may want to start early so that the activity is fun and not dreaded. I attached a class list to last week’s homework as well as our weekly email to help you. I encourage your children not to bring candy on this day if possible because of the multiple allergies in our class. Thank you!
Questions to Ask
– How many tens are in 97? How many ones?
– What did you learn about Chinese New Year?
– Kate is Star Sea Otter this week
– Dress Uniform for St. Valentine’s Mass this Wednesday, 2/13
– Valentines Day in this Thursday, 2/14
– No school Friday, 2/15 – Tuesday, 2/19 for faculty retreat and mid-winter holiday.
-read first grade words. RF1.3
-use adjectives. L.1.1
-use what I know about phonics to spell new words. L.1.2
-spell first grade words. L.1.2
-sort words into categories. L.1.5
-read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
-read and understand first grade non-fiction. RI.1.10
-tell about the main ideas and details after I listen or read. SL.1.2
-follow rules for discussions, talk with others, and ask questions during discussions. SL.1.1
-speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
-revise and edit my writing. W.1.5
– count to 120. 1.NBT.1
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– compare two-digit numbers using <, >, and =. 1.NBT.3
– use manipulatives, pictures, and math strategies to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5