It was a great week in first grade! Students did an amazing job taking the MAP assessment as well as their first math test on addition to ten. Students also learned about nouns and verbs and created their own sentences to write a class book. In religion, students practiced mass responses and learned about the archangels St. Gabriel, St. Michael, and St. Raphael.
Wednesday, October 5th we will celebrate St. Francis at our first all school liturgy. First graders are in charge of leading mass with their eighth grade buddies. Please have students bring one small stuffed animal to celebrate St. Francis and his love of all living creatures. Students will process with their stuffed animals and place them on the alter. At the conclusion of mass all animals will be returned. Please make sure your child’s stuffed animal is clearly labeled with his/her last name. You are welcome to join us in the church at 9:00 a.m.
Questions to Ask
– What is a verb? A noun?
– How was the MAP test?
– Who are the archangels? What can you tell me about Gabriel?
– First Mate next week is Oliver
– Dress uniform Wednesday 10/5 for Mass
– No school Friday, 10/7 for Teacher Excellence Day
– Spelling test will be Thursday, 10/6
– Individual student picture day is Tuesday, 10/11
– print my uppercase and lowercase letters. L.1.1
– punctuate sentences. L.1.2
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– use context clues to help me understand a new word or words. L.1.4
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– write to tell a story. W.1.3
– help my class write. W.1.7
– tell who, what, when, where, why and how after reading. RL.1.1
– tell the characters, setting, and what happens in a story. RL.1.3
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– use strategies to solve addition word problems. 1.OA.1
– use the commutative property of addition. 1.OA.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– add facts within 20. 1.OA.5
– know what an equal sign means. 1.OA.7
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.