October 2, 2017
It was a great week in first grade! We started reading groups this week and settled in to the format of our spelling instruction. As writers this week first graders drafted, edited, revised and published their first narrative of the year. In religion, students learned about St. Martin as an example of service/worship and we identified the archangels St. Gabriel, St. Michael, and St. Raphael. We also took our first math test! Look for their math chapter packet in their daily folder. Not all pages were completed because we used different materials, manipulatives, and activities for the lessons. Your children are welcome to complete the pages as extra practice as needed but can remain at home. All tests will be sent home the following Friday in your child’s folder.
We will be doing MAP testing on Tuesday and Thursday. We want everyone to put forth their best effort, so please make sure your child gets a good night sleep and a healthy breakfast!
First and second grade families will be participating in a family rosary project. Please see the informational sheet attached to the homework packet this week.
On Wednesday, October 4th we will celebrate St. Francis at our first all school liturgy. First graders are in charge of leading mass with their eighth grade buddies. You are welcome to join us in the church at 9:00 a.m. Please make sure your child is in dress uniform!
Questions to Ask
– What was your narrative story about?
-What are 3 ways to make ten?
– What is a need? What is a want?
– Who are the archangels? What can you tell me about Gabriel?
– Star Sea Otter for the week of October 2 is Jimena
– Dress uniform Wednesday 10/4 for Mass
– No school Friday, 10/6 for Teacher Excellence Day
– Spelling test will be Thursday, 10/5
-Volunteering calendar is now available, please use the Sign Up genius link on my web page
-We have enough drivers to go on our November field trip! Thank you!
– print my uppercase and lowercase letters. L.1.1
– punctuate sentences. L.1.2
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– use context clues to help me understand a new word or words. L.1.4
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– write to tell a story. W.1.3
– help my class write. W.1.7
– tell who, what, when, where, why and how after reading. RL.1.1
– tell the characters, setting, and what happens in a story. RL.1.3
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– use strategies to solve addition word problems. 1.OA.1
– use the commutative property of addition. 1.OA.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– add facts within 20. 1.OA.5
– know what an equal sign means. 1.OA.7
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.