November 17, 2017
Field trip success! First graders had an amazing time at the Seattle Art Museum learning about different cultures around the world. They made their own “fine porcelain” dishes to bring home (Monday) and share for a special occasion. The students were well behaved and represented St. John School incredibly well. Thank you to Mrs. Kalanquin, Ms. LaMarch, Mrs. Warczak, Ms. Sheridan, Mrs. Wade, Mr. Sourov, Mrs. Quint and Mrs. Luebbe for helping today!
Special Advent Note
Beginning Monday, November 27th the entire school will gather for Advent morning prayer every Monday in the church at 8:20. First graders will head straight to the church at 8:15. Please do your best to be on time. If you are late, please come directly to the church. We will be sitting in the front on the right hand side facing the altar if you need to meet us there.
This week students learned about heredity and how offspring (plants, animals, and humans) are like, but not exactly like their parents. We also talked about different kinds of families – families where dads carry babies by reading Mister Seahorse by Eric Carle and learned about offspring names in Does Kangaroo Have a Mother? By Eric Carle. Each student is asked to create a family timeline including pictures of their grandparents, parents, and themselves. On the back of their photo timeline, they will write about two traits they inherited from their family. Please be sure to check your child’s folder for project details. We are hoping this will be a fun activity to complete while families are gathered over Thanksgiving!
Christmas Around the World
On Monday, December 18th, first graders will celebrate learning about Christmas around the world with an international luncheon. Each family is asked to participate either by making a dish from a special country or donating supplies and/or your time. Planning/sign up forms will come home after Thanksgiving. Please do not order hot lunch on Monday, December 18th.
Questions to Ask
– What is the name of an explorer?
– Can you set the table?
– What was your favorite part of the museum?
– No Star Sea Otter because of the short week
– Dress uniform Monday, November 20th for Thanksgiving Mass.
– Food drive donations are welcome through November 21st.
– Tuesday, November 21st First Trimester ends.
– Thanksgiving Break November 22nd– 26th.
– Heredity project due Monday, November 27th.
– Do not order hot lunch for Monday, December 18th.
– use singular and plural nouns. L.1.1
– punctuate sentences. L.1.2
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– help my class write. W.1.7
– revise and edit my writing. W.1.5
– publish my writing. W.1.6
– tell who, what, when, where, why and how after reading. RL.1.1
– tell the characters, setting, and what happens in a story. RL.1.3
– understand how words in a story can tell about feelings and the senses. RL.1.4
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– subtract facts within 20. 1.OA.6
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– create a family timeline to show events in a sequential manner. 4.1.1
– tell that young animals are like, but not exactly like their parents. 1.LS3.1
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.