February 9, 2018
What an amazing week! First graders began studying habitats in science. We discussed what a habitat provides for animals and made observations about the different categories of habitats. In math, students continued learning about place value. First graders also eagerly shared all of their musical instruments and described how they build the creations. We could start a band!
Lent starts next week. Remember to have your child wear dress uniform on February 14 for Ash Wednesday Mass. For homework I sent home a Lent calendar of ideas for your family (2 sides). Keep this in a safe place until April! February 13 is when we will celebrate our Valentine’s Day. If possible, please bring your cards by Monday in a bag labeled with your name. February 11 is the 100th day of school. Please bring your 100 word poster to school on Monday.
Field Trip Note: Friday, March 2nd is our field trip to the Pacific Science Center. Please DO NOT order hot lunch for that day. Permission slips are coming home today! Don’t forget to fill out both sides and turn in the $13 fee (check made out to St. John School or cash). If you are volunteering for the field trip, please send in $9.50 fee. If this is your first time volunteering for our field trip, please check to see if you have completed your Safe Environment Training. Permission slips are due February 15!
Questions to Ask
– How many tens are in 97? How many ones?
– What were some of the materials you saw used to create an instrument?
– What are the four things that a Habitat provides?
– No Star Sea Otter this week
– Valentines Day Party Tuesday, 2/13
– No school Friday, 2/16 – Tuesday, 2/20 for faculty retreat and winter holiday.
-Permission Slips sent home today for our Friday, March 2nd Field Trip
-read first grade words. RF1.3
-use adjectives. L.1.1
-use what I know about phonics to spell new words. L.1.2
-spell first grade words. L.1.2
-sort words into categories. L.1.5
-read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
-read and understand first grade non-fiction. RI.1.10
-tell about the main ideas and details after I listen or read. SL.1.2
-follow rules for discussions, talk with others, and ask questions during discussions. SL.1.1
-speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
-revise and edit my writing. W.1.5
– count to 120. 1.NBT.1
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– compare two-digit numbers using <, >, and =. 1.NBT.3
– use manipulatives, pictures, and math strategies to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5