First Grade Sea Otter News
Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow! Due to the late arrival days, our school days were short but productive. The first graders continued subtraction to 10 and set goals for 2020. Today the first graders did an engineering lesson with their eighth-grade buddies. They were following the engineering process to make a sled- drawing, redesigning, and testing. Students used recycled materials to create sleds and tested them on a track with their buddies. You can check them out on Catholic School Sunday!
NOTE: I realize I told students that they could bring their sleds home today. If your child would like their sled displayed for Catholic Schools Week Open House, please have them bring it back to school next week. Thank you!!
100 Day Project: The 100th day of school is fast approaching. To celebrate, students are asked to collect 100 words from magazines, newspapers, etc. Students will record their words on the homework grid and then use them to design a poster. Words can be arranged in a word, picture, pattern, or design of your choosing. Posters should be no larger than 35” x 25”. Posters and word lists are due February 19th.
Catholic Schools Week: Catholic Schools Week is coming up. Please be sure to join us for 10:30 Mass on Sunday, January 26th and for the open house immediately following. I am asking for any parents who are interested/available during the last week of January to talk to the class about their vocation to please contact me. We would love to hear from as many of you as possible about what you do and why you love it. Help us expand our horizons and learn about all the different things we can be when we grow up! You are welcome to speak any day of this week. Thank you!
Catholic Schools Week Schedule
Sunday, January 26, 2020 – Open House, Cultural Fair
- Mass is at 10:30, followed by Open House until 1:30
- Pray for Australia—Bring $1 or $2 to save the animals in Australia due to fires. Give donation to your teacher (primary grades are doing this!)
Monday, January 27 – Service & Outreach Day
- Students may wear free dress- the colors of the flag of their Unbound country (Peru for first grade)
- Students encouraged to bring $1.00 to support their Unbound student
Tuesday, January 28 – Volunteer Appreciation Day-
Thank you, Parents!
- Uniform for students
Wednesday, January 29 – Celebrate the Dignity of the Human Person
- Uniform for students
Thursday, January 30 – Faculty/Staff Appreciation Day. Vocation Day
- Students encouraged to bring a flower to their teachers today
- Parents are encouraged to talk about their vocations/jobs in our class!
- Dress like your favorite teacher/staff member or uniform
Friday, January 31 – Student Appreciation Day
- Free spaghetti lunch for all students
- Students dress in purple and gold (have fun with this!)
Did you Know…
Do mental mathematics and written problem-solving after they’ve mastered the necessary skills with counters.
Questions to Ask
– Write a subtraction fact.
– Why did we make Koalas?
-What happened today when you built your fast sled?
- Star Sea Otter for the week of January 21st is Esme.
- No School on Monday, January 20 (MLK day)
- STAR testing is Tuesday, January 21
- Class Mass is Wednesday, January 22 at 8:30 (You are welcome to join us)
- January 26th– January 31st is Catholic Schools week
-read first grade words. RF1.3
-use adjectives. L.1.1
-use what I know about phonics to spell new words. L.1.2
-spell first grade words. L.1.2
-sort words into categories. L.1.5
-read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
-read and understand first grade non-fiction. RI.1.10
-tell about the main ideas and details after I listen or read. SL.1.2
-follow rules for discussions, talk with others, and ask questions during discussions. SL.1.1
-speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6