Sea Otter Newsletter
Happy Thanksgiving! This week the first graders learned from their unit on Sun, Stars, and the Moon. They made phases of the moon with Oreos and next week they will make star constellations on black paper. They finished their unit on addition to 20 using strategies like adding addends in different order and adding 3 numbers. The holy Saint cards your students created are now part of our prayer time. They are a beautiful addition to the prayer table.
Saints-in-training! This week students trained to be like saints through their actions. We played “act like a saint” in stations to remind us how to be saint-like in our everyday lives.
Pray for the living and the dead like St. Cyprian– Each student wrote names of family and friends and prayed for them.
Clothe the naked like St. Vincent dePaul– Each student made paper clothes for his/her person.
Feed the Hungry like St. Elizabeth of Hungary– Each student decorated two paper muffins.
Build the church like St. Francis-Each student used blocks to build a church.
Teach the faith like St. Patrick- Each student made shamrocks and wrote the persons of the Trinity.
Give to the poor like St. Nicholas – Each student made money and their own chimneys.
I am thankful for each of you and wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving!
Special Advent Note
Please take note of the volunteer times during December. Sight words will begin at 8:30 to allow for primary advent prayer Tuesday – Friday in the kindergarten classroom.
Scholastic Book Orders:
It is still not too late to submit an order for the month of November! I will be submitting our class order on November 26th. Please see the Scholastic Book Order page on our classroom website for more information about ordering books!
-Homework and new spelling words will come Monday, December 2
-Star Sea Otter for the week of December 2 is Jake.
-Dress uniform for Mass on November 25
– punctuate sentences. L.1.2
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– help my class write. W.1.7
– revise and edit my writing. W.1.5
– publish my writing. W.1.6
– tell who, what, when, where, why and how after reading. RL.1.1
– tell the characters, setting, and what happens in a story. RL.1.3
– understand how words in a story can tell about feelings and the senses. RL.1.4
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– subtract facts within 20. 1.OA.6
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.